Thursday, April 29, 2010

Starting The Season

I have been productive this last week, which is why I haven't found time to update my blog. But here I am.
First off, there is a 4-H Plant Sale in my county in May that I will probably attend. Why not help out the community and benefit from it myself? I think it's a great idea.

I've done quite a bit of work outside since my last post. These are the things I have planted:
Dahlia
Viola
Gladiolus
Coneflower
Purple Carrots
Multicolored Carrots
Broccoli
Garlic (late)
Runner Beans
Viola
Honeycrisp Apple Tree (named Richard)

Transplanted:
2 Morning Glory plants

I had meant to attempt to start a greenhouse but I think if I've held out this long, I can wait another 2 weeks when everything will go out anyways. I have begun hardening off a few plants, mainly my peppers because I am so worried about them doing well. This is my most treasured crop so I don't want to take any risks. Not to mention, I don't have the best setup inside. The plants are in front of a window, yes, and I DO have a grow light on them but for how much I have, I should probably have at least 3 lights on the table. I know this, I just don't want to spend so much money. BUT when I know it will be nice out, I will put them outside.

Now to go over some individual planting problems I am faced with.
I failed myself a bit earlier this year by not labeling things that I planted. I have a general idea what some are but guessing is not that accurate. I don't believe my pansies came up, nor my poppys. Things that I misplaced: Bergenia Roses, Bellflowers and canterbury bells. I'm sure there are more. If I can find pictures of seedlings, I'd be able to identify them but it's hard to find those. Some of the flowers haven't been showing much growth in the last few weeks which worries me but I just re-arranged the table so that may help. Being that some of these plants are perennials, they might not get established and flower until next year which is fine.

I believe I just found out that what I had thought to be my hollyhock growing big is actually a bunch of pansies. That's great because I believe the ones I planted are black. Well maybe. So many seedlings look alike. I have some fuzzy-type seedlings and I have NO idea what those are. I'm going to have to do some mega research. Bummer. This will definately not happen next year. Lable lable lable.



I will get pictures up later this weekend hopefully. I need to document this year better so I can learn from it all next year.

2 comments:

  1. I planted some black pansies too! I just barely got sprouting going on now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same problem on keeping up with plants and knowing their names. Oh well, as long as they look good and bloom it's all good so don't worry overly much. You'll figure it out. That black pansy is wowser! I've never seen one and it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete