Friday, May 7, 2010

Iris Issues

I have one flower bud total on all of the Iris in my yard. This I thought was strange because even the 5 or 6 Iris that I did not move this spring, do not have any buds, just foliage. The I did a little research on GardenWeb and found out it is PROBABLY because they are planted too deeply, AND need to be divided. The ones that were already here when I moved in were rhizomes. I moved these before I had done my research, just got excited and put them somewhere I would be able to look at them. I do remember there being some rotted parts that I would have removed had I known better, and some are quite long with multiple bumps that should have been split. Silly me. Now I am debating if I should wait until they die off to divide them or to just do it now and see what happens. It's not like I spent money on them, they were just in my yard already so why not take the risk? The foliage is already about a foot and a half tall, and there is definitely nothing going on there. I will leave the one with one bud on it, even though it will look awfuly funny.





I planted those Dutch Iris too that apparently come from bulbs instead of Rhizomes, who knew the same type of plant could come from something completely different. Kinda cool actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment